Centrelink Support

Depending upon your circumstances there are supports available to families who have a child with a lifelong disability. Prader-Willi Syndrome is an eligible disability as it is lifelong. You will need a letter of diagnosis from your doctor. (This is an important document you should keep for further use). Different payments have varying eligibility criteria.

Carer payment 

An income support payment if you give constant care to someone who has a severe disability, you’re eligible under the pension income and assets test limits.

If you already receive a Parenting payment get advice from your Centrelink officer about the possibility of changing to a Carer Payment.

Carer payment does not have returning to employment conditions at a later date. This just gives you some freedom of choice.

Carer Allowance

A fortnightly supplement that is assessed on an income test only

Child disability assistance payment

An annual lump sum which is automatic if you are receiving either of the above payments.

Essential Medical equipment Payment

An annual payment to assist with the running costs of medically prescribed equipment e.g.  Apnoea monitors, oxygen concentrators, CPAP/BiPAP 

Pensioner Card

If you receive Carers pension.   Provides bulk billing at most clinics and cheap scripts. Discounts on many utility services, public transport and some attractions.

Health Care Card

As above but also available if you receive Carers Allowance but not Carers Payment.

Childcare rebate

Paid directly to your Childcare provider to reduce fees.  Your child’s immunisations must be up to date.

Additional Childcare payment

Available to those job hunting, transitioning to work, studying or in financial hardship. The payments are for varying periods of time and for different percentages of your childcare fees. Paid directly to your childcare provider. 

All these payments are available at the time of printing and are subject to change and eligibility requirements. Please check the Department of Human Services website, through your MyGov A/c or speak to an officer at your local Centrelink Office.

Centrelink Disability Pension

When the person with Prader-Willi Syndrome turns 16, they may be eligible for a Centrelink disability pension and associated supplements. We recommend your application be prepared early and supporting evidence be gathered as soon as possible. Information can be found on the Australian Government Department of Social Services website.