Other funding

Carers Card 

Recognition as a Carer and discounts at many businesses, organisations, attractions and services.

The card provides discounts and benefits to carers in acknowledgement of this contribution.

It’s easy and free to apply for the Carer Card. Applications can be made online at the Victoria State Government Carer Card Program website. Alternatively, forms can be downloaded from the site, or you can request that one be posted to you by telephoning the Carer Card team on 1800 901 958 (toll free).

Applications may take four to six weeks to process.

Companion Card 

Allows the Carer accompanying the child at the time of presentation, free entry to attractions, movies and theatres etc.  This application requires a medical professional, including General Practitioner or occupational therapists, to complete a section and to sign off on your application. It is not automatically issued unless that you can demonstrate a need for an attendant for the person to be included. Applying for a baby may be difficult but please speak to your chosen professional.

You can apply for a companion card at the Companion Card website.

Taxi Card

The Multi Purpose Taxi Program (MPTP) makes transport more accessible and affordable for people with a severe disability. The MPTP Card is issued by Commercial Passenger Vehicles Victoria (CPVV). MPTP members receive 50 per cent off the standard fare (covering up to $60 per trip). Please note the cost of any road tolls or airport fees are paid by the passenger.

To be eligible for an MPTP card you must:

  • be a permanent resident of Australia and live in Victoria
  • have a severe and permanent disability that your doctor deems is not likely to improve with treatment
  • be unable to use public transport safely and independently.

You must also be able to demonstrate financial hardship by supplying a Notice of Assessment from the last financial year or hold one of the following:

  • a Centrelink issued concession card (such as the Aged Pension or Disability Support Pension)
  • a Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) card (e.g. Gold Repatriation Health card) or an EDA (Extreme Disablement Adjustment) or TPI (Totally and Permanently Incapacitated) notation.

To apply please visit the Commercial Passenger Vehicles Victoria website.